HOTEL RWANDA
Monday, February 28, 2005
I’ve watched this movie sometime ago but nevertheless, it has really struck a chord with me. But then, I suppose I really like war films even though I may not be very clear about the history. Why? People always think that I have the same interests as guys. However, the reasons for the interests are different.
For example, I like watching war films such as Hotel Rwanda cos it really shows the pains and sufferings of those innocent victims involved in civil war. I can honestly feel their pain, torture and fear of living everyday. My tears just rolled down freely and I didn’t even realize it until it touched my lips. The salty taste of the tears made me realize that I’ve been crying for a long time.
I cried for the brutal killings of innocent people. I cried for the sight of corpses lying everywhere on the roads. I cried for the unfairness and discrimination the people have for one another even though they are from the same country. I cried because I was anguished by the apathy, indifference and discrimination of the supposed powerful countries such as UK, US and France. (As the UN general said in a matter-of-fact tone, “They don’t care because you aren’t even Nigger from their countries”.) I cried because I don’t understand how people can still be so selfish and not send aids in even after knowing the current situation. I cried because I don’t understand what stupid rule the UN have (they aren’t allowed to shoot at the rebels). I cried because I don’t know why people have to wait until they are being criticized heavily and shown the actual footages then they will start acting. I cried because I felt helpless for them, watching those foreigners leaving first whereas those who are in actual danger have to be left behind to wait for their turns to be slaughtered mercilessly. I cried because there are actually some kind-hearted people around who are willing to stay on and risk their lives to help out and take care of the wounded. I cried because I was feeling frustrated, wondering when the war would end. In the end, I cried because they were tears of joy as the main characters were reunited and safe.
But there are still so many people out there who have died without a just cause. They died because of civil war; because of despise one tribe had for the other right from the start. But aren’t they from the same country? Okay, I’m not being naïve. I know discrimination exists even in S’pore and everywhere else as long as there are other races. But this civil war is not about races. It’s about the background of the tribes. Why do they even have this divided system in the first place? I know this sound like some pageant answer, but world peace is really important and should be appreciated and treasured. This is another reason why I like to watch war films. To make myself appreciate the peace and comfort we have now and not take it for granted. That’s why I’m not supportive of the attack on Iraq. But apparently the citizens of the powerhouse did not really mind it and gradually forgot about it. However, the other candidate at that time didn’t look promising too..hmm..tough choice there.
Anyway, in a movie, there’s always the hero and villain. This movie is no exception. The hero took his family and a large group of neighbours to safety after numerous obstacles and no doubt thanks to the sneaky villain too. However, in a movie, it never fails to end with a happy ending for the hero even though this is a true story. The rest of the storyline was revealed when I was stating the reasons I cried while watching the movie.
Nevertheless, I believe I’m still feminine in some ways cos I love watching romantic movies or chick flicks. Haiz..holidays over already. Time to start gearing up for early classes. Sob sob…
travelled around the world at 3:28 PM
Quote
Blank pages anxiously await the words
They so desperately need to feel alive.
Encasing thoughts that are dying to be heard
Screaming out the things we often try to hide
The beauty of verse, the power of prose.
Filling the world with profound emotion.
Thoughts & feelings, every nerve is exposed.
Tossing us into the depths of a chaotic ocean.
Archives
Credits
Tag